Bleaching damages your hair because it can remove much of its moisture. Before going about the whole process, make sure that your hair is in a healthy and good condition.
- Deep Conditioner – Use a deep conditioner each time you take a bath.
- Hair Mask – These are very concentrated conditioning creams that you can apply every week. Hair masks are cheap to buy in any drug store. If you want to go natural, you can use extra virgin olive oil. Saturate it on hair, cover and leave for a duration of thirty to sixty minutes. Do this several times in one week prior to bleaching your hair.
- Leave-on Conditioner – You may use leave on or just your regular conditioner. Pour a pea-sized amount and apply on your still damp hair.
If you have dark hair, it would take some rounds of bleaching before your hair turns blonde. The catch here is your hair would really look funny. However, be that as it may, you NEED to wait in between these bleaches. If you won’t, your hair will melt and get damaged. It will feel hot but it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Once you’ve finished and washed out your initial bleach, apply a generous amount of leave-on conditioner immediately to restore the moisture taken out by the bleach.
- Your hair will look funny. You may want to style it, which is fine and all, but REFRAIN from using heat as it will only worsen the dryness of your hair.
- Don’t apply shampoo everyday as it can also strip your hair off its moisture.
- Wait for a minimum of four days to a maximum of one week in between your bleaches. Use this time off to really give your hair some tender loving care.
Once you’ve achieved what shade of lightness you desire, it’s time to stop as bleaching it more will really make it drier and more brittle. You’ll also want to have a trim you’re sure to have split ends and hair fall. Once done with your trim, it’s time to nurse your tresses back to good health.
There’s every chance that your hair won’t be how it was before but these steps will really help in restoring its former glory. Apart from the enumerated deep conditioner, hair mask and leave-on conditioner stated above, you can also use the following:
- Moisturizing or Mild Shampoo – Don’t wash your hair everyday. This will only take away its moisture. Just apply moisturizing or mild shampoo once every three to four days.
- Keratin Oil Spray – A protein essential in keeping the healthy structure of both hair and nails, apply this on your still damp hair when you finish your bath.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This makes a good remedy for dry hair because it aids in sealing moisture in and preventing split ends. To do this, mix one part of vinegar to two parts of water and apply to your hair after your shower. Allow to stay on your hair for a minimum of fifteen minutes then wash off.